This is the first of my Italian feast posts.
This year for my birthday I decided to cook up a storm. It’s one of my favourite things to do and I especially love Italian food. This lemon granita makes an excellent palate cleanser between courses and is easy to whip up.
First you are going to need 500ml of lemon juice. That’s about 7 or 8 lemons. Before you begin juicing your lemons you will need to zest one of them and reserve that for later. Strain your lemon juice through a fine sieve, add the zest and set aside.
Next bring two cups of water to the boil. Once the water is boiling add about half a cup of Xylitol. There is some room to play here and if you have a sweet tooth you could add more. Boil this mixture until the Xylitol dissolves. Decant into a measuring jug and let it cool.
Once your syrup has cooled add in the lemon mixture, mix them together and churn in an ice-cream maker for about 25 minutes or until it looks slushy. If you don’t have an ice-cream maker you can pour your mixture into a flat container and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes, remove the syrup, give it a good stir. Repay this process for four hours until the granita looks slushy.
Sugar-free lemon granita
500ml strained lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
1. Juice and strain 7 – 8 lemons, mix zest of one lemon into juice and set aside.
2. Bring water to the boil, add xylitol and wait for it to dissolve. Set syrup aside to cool.
3. Once cooled mix syrup with lemon juice, add to ice-cream maker and churn for 25 minutes.
4. Leave granita in freezer until you are ready to serve.
5. Serve in small bowls and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Let me know what you think below and please feel free to share this post if you enjoyed it!